Monday, April 20, 2009

Hoeing and Sowing


When it is sunny in Portland, it is paradise on Earth. It reacquaints you with all the reasons you live here: the beautiful scenery, the miles of hiking and biking trails, the outdoor community gathering spots, the not-too-hot perfect temperatures, the outdoor activities—need I go on? Amnesia about the past seven rainy months takes over and you become at one with the sun.
I used my sunshine-induced exuberation to plant seeds. I love creating those orderly little rows and watching the progress reminiscent of a kindergarten science experiment: First you see that little green crook barely surfacing from the dark soil. Then, up pops a spritely little sprout with its two leaves still sandwiched between the halves of the seed coat. Even though I know that nature meant for this teeny baby plant to separate and shed them, it’s hard to resist intervening and plucking them off. After this weekend’s work, I anticipate my meddling with this year’s sprouts to occur in about two weeks.


I planted beets (those really dark ones with the rings in them), green beans (skinny and French, but no correlation between those two descriptive, please) and snap peas (bush style with edible pods and no tough string). I am already salivating for beet salad, roasted green beans and snap peas with hummus. Two Christmases ago I made beet salad with freshly pulled beets from the yard. Beets are about the most polite vegetable there is. They wait patiently where they are planted until you are good and ready to use them, even if it is three months later, and still taste wonderful.


Here is one of my favorite beet salad recipes, but admittedly I never met one I didn’t like. I honestly don’t think I can wait for my own beets to mature to enjoy some beet salad, so in the meantime, it’s either grocery store or farmer’s market beets for me. Here is what I will make when I procure my next bunch of beets.


And did I say something about hummus? Yes, it is the perfect dip for snap peas, among other things. Hummus is so darned easy to make, I ask myself why I don’t make it more often. I rarely follow a recipe since there are so few ingredients and really it’s a to-taste concoction anyway. Here is the way I make it, more or less, but of course, please adjust it to taste.